8.03.2008

Trains Until You're Sick of Them

I took Jimmy out last week for a dream-filled day of trains. We took the Metra to LaSalle Street Station, then walked over to Union Station, where Jimmy "finally!" got to see some Amtrak trains. I was surprised that we could walk so close up to the terminal, but we saw plenty. We also saw the Great Hall, something I'd always wanted to see anyway.

Then we walked back across the river to the Sears Tower and its sky deck, where Jimmy spent a lot of time sitting next to the windows, looking of course for trains. He spotted the Amtraks heading into Union Station, the Metras making their way to LaSalle Street station, and plenty of El trains. Oh, yeah--freight trains too. Then we headed back to LaSalle Street station, where we walked along the terminals to see the striped engines. I told Jimmy that I was sick of trains after that. "Forever?" he wondered. "No," I said. "Not forever. But definitely for today."





No comments: